Hello user, SRN is now closed. Feel free to read anything you'd like, but you cannot post.
Thank you for being part of this community.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hello user, SRN is now closed. Feel free to read anything you'd like, but you cannot post.
Thank you for being part of this community.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to fight 101

3 posters

Go down

How to fight 101 Empty How to fight 101

Post by Spekkal Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:21 pm

I'm not making this because I've seen issues, but I do think this needs to be addressed as a guide of sorts. We've all had RPs where one of our characters has had a brawl with another, but we've also usually had issues that the fight just didn't go as you wanted it. Fighting in roleplays is usually a complicated thing to deal with for both parties if both desire to win to be better. After all, having the best character is all that matters! ...Well actually, no. Let me give you some pointers on how fights should be so that it's enjoyable for everyone. You all know the rules of no meta-gaming and no godmodding, those are expected in any fight. This is more how to write so that the RP you are in flourishes and is more interesting.

1) Don't expect a result.
Now, unless that it has been decided beforehand who wins for the sake of a plot, don't expect your character to win. If both parties expect to win and defeat the other, which I have seen often, then it just ends up with frustrations and the RP ends up a mess from gradual extremes to take victory. It's not fun, it's not enjoyable and at least one person will be upset by the end of it. If you want an RP to flow, it needs to be natural. Don't expect a result and go with the glow. Make it fair.

2) Allowing responses matters.
This falls into autohitting, but I'm going to go into depth with this one since it related to writing fights and is incredibly important. Now, if you assume what is going to happen and you write the result you want, the opposing party isn't going to be very happy to find their character knocked out without allowing it. Let me use examples here:
"Steve kicked Jill in the chest, sending her flying into a wall."
Jill's owner is going to be understandable annoyed to find that their character is now vulnerable and wounded. Not to mention, Jill probably could have dodged that kick if she put her mind to it since her specialty is, say, unarmed combat. Let's try that again so Jill's owner is happy to reply:
"Steve leaned back and lashed out with a forceful kick towards Jill's chest, intending to send her spine-first into the brick wall behind them."
See how much easier it is to reply to? Now Jill can respond to this action with her own and either take the hit or avoid it. Not only that, but there's more detail. Detail matters, of course, as it paints a better picture of the fight scene and lets the RPers and those watching know exactly what's happening. That goes onto my next point...

3) Detail, detail, detail.
As stated above, detail is terribly important. One-liners are passable, but it doesn't make a good fighting roleplay. It makes it bland and lifeless, and that's the last thing you need - to bore people. You want to make it interesting not only for yourself but the people around you. Not to mention, the more detail you put in, the more your opponent has to write off. It's difficult to reply to a few words but easier to reply to a decent few sentences. Let's go back to Steve and Jill, in the forest since that's a common location.
"Steve made a shield of ice and started throwing icicles at Jill, "You can't get me now," he said.
"Jill dodged to the side and hid behind a tree, laughing."

Now, we can do better than that. That's fairly simple stuff, and it's pretty dull-looking. If we add details and consider the environment around them, we can add a bit more to this.
"Steve hissed under his breath, frustrated at his tricky opponent. He backed up, spine against the old and peeling bark of the tree and formed a hard layer of ice from his fingertips, moving them aggressively before his body to form a glittering glacial shield before him. The wolf growled, extending his other hand and pressed it lightly against the protective barrier as a bulletstorm of razor-sharp icicles exploded from the shield like an automated minigun, "I dare you to get me now!" he roared, a grin heavy with malice spreading across his lips."
"Jill smirked to both herself and her agitated opponent, giving a light shrug of her shoulders as Steve formed that shield. She knew he was on his last leg, and reveled in it with great confidence and egotism. But the forest was something she knew well, and even an expert ice-user would fall to her deft and sneaky movements. Clasping her hands together as the bulletstorm began, she dove to the side and extended her limbs, cartwheeling gracefully with the movements of a swan, the terrifying icicles merely slicing through the loose threads of her clothing. She twirled behind a tree, hearing the violent thuds of ice impaling the bark. Her childish laughter echoing louder than the beatdown itself."
See, there's significantly more there. Both RPers know exactly what's happening and know how to respond. Not to mention, it highlights the personality of the characters. Steve is reckless and aggressive, while Jill is shown to take enjoyment in the frustration of others, going out of her way to infuriate her attacker and treat him like a toy. With the first post, there was no difference. No personality and nothing special. A little bit of detail goes a long way, and really helps your character shine.

Last edited by Spekkal on Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Spekkal
Spekkal
Hero
Hero

Back to top Go down

How to fight 101 Empty Re: How to fight 101

Post by Guest Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:33 pm

Ugh my god I'm so glad this got posted 8D

Back to top Go down

Post by Spekkal Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:37 pm

If you have any more suggestions, I'd be willing to throw it up there! I'm all out :c
Spekkal
Spekkal
Hero
Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Thunder Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:10 am

Those people who are like "but I haz da op powaz of da godz and I am so strong I can just touch you and you died" see that is what noobs do but really noobs who think like this read the post 13 times then you might get accepted into a role play.
Thunder
Thunder
Master Member
Master Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Envy the Jealous Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:01 pm

Luckily in my experience I've only ever seen that kind of stupidity on roblox.
Envy the Jealous
Envy the Jealous
Expert Member
Expert Member

Location : Being jealous of all the great artists on this site >.<

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down