Hello user, SRN is now closed. Feel free to read anything you'd like, but you cannot post.
Thank you for being part of this community.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hello user, SRN is now closed. Feel free to read anything you'd like, but you cannot post.
Thank you for being part of this community.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CD Soundtrack: JPN or USA?

5 posters

Go down

CD Soundtrack: JPN or USA? Empty CD Soundtrack: JPN or USA?

Post by Caliburn Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:36 pm

The two soundtracks for Sonic CD are vastly different. In many ways. So much that I thought this deserved a separate topic in itself.

So I'm curious. Which do you prefer? Why?

Personally, I'm more fond of the Japanese soundtrack. It's obscure. It's so... funky. And it gets me really hyped up so much. The good future soundtrack is beautiful, and the bad future soundtrack genuinely makes me just... mentally disturbed. It's what the world has become. And it's down to YOU to stop it.

There's something just... great about the japanese soundtrack to me, and the american one just doesn't have the same soul to it in my eyes. Though it does have a few gems, the majority blends in and is just bland in my eyes.

And that boss/game over music. Oh god what were they thinking. Look it up if you dare. You will die.
Caliburn
Caliburn
Hero
Hero

Back to top Go down

CD Soundtrack: JPN or USA? Empty Re: CD Soundtrack: JPN or USA?

Post by Dregan Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:59 pm

Well, over here in Europe, we actually got the Japanese soundtrack on original copies of the game (obviously, collections and such since then may've used different songs and such), so I'm more familiar with the Japanese sound than I am the American one.

I have to say... I think the American soundtrack was better thought-out. It feels a lot of the songs were a lot more thematic to the stages, and there was kinda more variance there.
The Japanese soundtrack on the other hand was very... hm. It was a lot of good music, for a good game. But it sorta felt like someone went 'Okay, we need you to make music for a bunch of levels for this game', and then they were like 'Right!' and made a lot of 'level' music without making it particularly thematic for the levels. However, a lot of the music was... well... great.
It's a hard call for me really, but I think American track slightly comes out on top for me - not neccesarily due to the quality of the overall music, but I think Japan had a lot more in the way of annoying samples breaking songs up and making them a lot more... disjointed.
Dregan
Dregan
Hero
Hero

http://barred.smackjeeves.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by The Red Blur Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:11 am

The only way I was able to play it was procuring the sonic gems collection, recently, and I was irritated, to say the least, for not getting the Japanese soundtrack. I mean, I feel it fits so much better, although the USA one has a genuinely screwed up soundtrack for the bad future, but that's about it. One thing that made it worse for me was the fact that they had cut out the best Japanese track of the game (starlight/metal sonic theme) and replaced it with a decent track, but a track that just wasn't as good.

Plus, who can resist the ending theme from the Japanese soundtrack?
The Red Blur
The Red Blur
Hero
Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by goldenaxe Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:39 am

English Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes period!

goldenaxe
Newbie Member
Newbie Member

Back to top Go down

Post by The Red Blur Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:39 pm

goldenaxe wrote:English Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes period!

Do you... Uh... Care to explain what you mean?
The Red Blur
The Red Blur
Hero
Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Caliburn Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:18 pm

Honestly, I get why people would prefer the English soundtrack. I listened to a lot of it myself, too, and it does fit very well. Though in my eyes I feel like the JP soundtrack fits the levels perfectly. That may just be a bias or something, but things like Stardust Speedway, Palmtree Panic, Wacky Workbench, Metallic Madness, all that stuff. They just fit so well.

Something great that I'm looking forward to personally is the fact that Sonic Mania seems to have a JP CD style soundtrack. :3
Caliburn
Caliburn
Hero
Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:36 am

The EU/JP soundtrack, in my opinion, is much better in most cases. Although the USA soundtrack has its great songs, and it's definitely more atmospheric, the EU/JP soundtrack is just better. However, none of this really matters because PLAYING Sonic Cd is a god-awful nightmare. No offense to anybody who likes the game, but screw Sonic CD and it's crap level design.

Back to top Go down

Post by Caliburn Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:13 pm

Playing the game is... strange. It's not a nightmare by any means, however. I've done a 100% completion run on the game - all timestones, all metal sonic holograms destroyed, all pods, everything. The time warp gimmick can be REALLY annoying to get to work, but it's part of the challenge I suppose.

CD remains one of my favourite 2D games for a lot of reasons.
Caliburn
Caliburn
Hero
Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by The Red Blur Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:39 pm

CD is ball-bustingly difficult, I'll agree with that, but it's not down to bad level design, it's more down to just needing to 'git gud scrubb', if you catch my drift.
The Red Blur
The Red Blur
Hero
Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:25 am

I've 100% the game too, and I STILL don't like it. I am entitled to my opinion guys. I just don't think that CD's emphasis on backtracking, time travelling, and exploration go well with Sonic as a character. Now if the game starred Tails or Knuckles, who have means of vertically scaling structures without extreme frustration, it would be slightly better. However, no matter who you play as, I hate the time travelling mechanic.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dregan Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:26 am

Sorry, just to clarify, when we say 'English' soundtrack, what are we referring to here? Since the 'English' track as in 'England' is the Japanese track, whilst the 'American' track is different.
When people are saying 'English' what are they actually meaning? XP
Dregan
Dregan
Hero
Hero

http://barred.smackjeeves.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeMurdock Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:02 pm

For myself don't care where it's from. if it has a good beat I will listen to it and enjoy it. plus I do love comparing the differences between the two Smile
MikeMurdock
MikeMurdock

http://www.spritewars.com/index.php?act=idx

Back to top Go down

CD Soundtrack: JPN or USA? Empty The Japanese Soundtrack

Post by Guest Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:09 pm

I think it sounds a lot better and is a lot more catchy. I especially love the trippy sounds from the past side of soundtrack.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum