Hello user, SRN is now closed. Feel free to read anything you'd like, but you cannot post.
Thank you for being part of this community.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hello user, SRN is now closed. Feel free to read anything you'd like, but you cannot post.
Thank you for being part of this community.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reinventing the Spindash

4 posters

Go down

Reinventing the Spindash Empty Reinventing the Spindash

Post by Dregan Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:05 am

So! The Sonic characters have been through various interpretations and incarnations over time! Whether it be through alternate canons, or simply through development over time, Sonic has offered us various versions of the same characters over time. Sonic himself is obviously the main example. I mean, to look at just a few...

Reinventing the Spindash Latest?cb=20090916180054

Sonic from the games is something of a generic hero-type. Has a huge drive to save the day, just because in the end he's a hero, and it's the right thing to do. Still, quite cocky and laid-back despite everything, and overwhelmingly positive, even when things get dire.

Sonic Boom is arguably a very similar interpretation, though has a few different focuses - for example, whilst he does hold onto his cockiness, focus is on him being an often more 'practical' hero, right down to using active elements of sports clothing in his design. Still, he's a lot more flawed too, thriving on the fame and hero-status he owns, and can often be extremely ego-driven.
His relationships with others also vary differently. Whilst in main Sonic canon his ultimate rival is Eggman, in Sonic Boom it's more a case of them almost being... annoying neighbours. Annoying neighbours ramped up to eleven, who get on hald the time, before throwing down the moment they have an excuse.

Sonic the Comic meanwhile had a complete jerk of a Sonic. Whilst he is still a hero with a strong moral code, he has a very abrasive sense of humour, often playing pranks and making cruel jokes at the expense of others. He still holds true to the archetype of Sonic as a cocky hero, and he still does deep down truly care for his friends, and truly want to fight to protect the world... but he's definitely a more aggressive Sonic, and one who's motivations can be a lot more selfish.
One of the most interesting parts of this alternate Sonic as well, is his 'Super Sonic'. As opposed to being just a 'powered up Sonic', it's a being of pure chaos energy within him, that thrives on the idea of destruction that chaos can bring. Super Sonic is a last resort not due to the difficulty of gathering the emeralds right up until the 'big boss fight'... but because Super Sonic is dangerous.

Sonic in the East also has an interesting take on Super Sonic. Whilst it is still a sort of 'powered up form', instead it takes the idea of Super Sonic being the spirit of one of Sonic's ancestors imbuing him with power through the Chaos Emeralds. Whilst Sonic's ancestors held the Chaos Emeralds, they warred with the ancient Echidna tribes and their Master Emerald - thus giving an entirely new justification to the rivalry between Sonic and Knuckles, and making it easier for Robotnik to manipulate them against each other in the first place.

...Wait, you don't recognise that last one? Well of course you don't. I just made it up!
Aaand that's what this topic is inviting you to do - I want to invite you guys to take the canon Sonic characters, and think of ways to reinvent them, to reinterpret them. If you had your own alternate canon to run, like Sonic the Comic, or Archie, or Sonic Boom, how would you do the characters differently?
Would you have a Tails, who's second tail is a result of his own experimentation?
Would you have a Shadow, who holds the DNA of all those that died on the ARK?
Would you have a Metal Sonic, who's still convinced to this day that he is the real Sonic, and that the real Sonic was made in his own likeness?
It's time to get creative - let's see what you've got!
Dregan
Dregan
Hero
Hero

http://barred.smackjeeves.com/

Back to top Go down

Reinventing the Spindash Empty Re: Reinventing the Spindash

Post by Uncanny-Illustrator Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:02 pm

I will first up bring up an AU that I didn't think up but I figured does fit well in this thread since I do adore the basic idea of the AU.
http://www.deviantart.com/art/Sonic-Skyline-550770414
(Plus I adore that art style)

And as at least you know, I have been playing about with future idea timeline ideas if it comes to the characters but that isn't really the main goal here if I understand correctly?
Uncanny-Illustrator
Uncanny-Illustrator
Hero
Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Dregan Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:24 pm

Y'know what? Future timeline works as an interpretation of how they'd develop from different events, so screw it, go for it! Curious to see where you take them.
Dregan
Dregan
Hero
Hero

http://barred.smackjeeves.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Uncanny-Illustrator Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:55 pm

So far what I have for a base set up is that it takes time after Eggman gets defeated a final time and he seems to practically disappear from the planet. This still remain hectic but not as much due to the lack of endless attacks.
Though after 7/10 years from this point shit goes down, specifically due to the 'diety' characters from the franchise that got frustrated, angry that they had gotten so forgotten.

Aaand that is what I have so far story wise. The only characters so far that I have developed well enough are Amy Rose and Honey the Cat.

Amy having matured quite a bit, no longer in her mindless crush for Sonic. With the years she grew out of her girly mindset to a more balanced in between. Not scared to kick butt when needed.

Honey having teamed up with Bark and Bean. The three of them having formed a group to help battle against whatever comes their way. Honey herself being quite a loud mouth with sass in her and a 'no BS' attitude.

The other future I have is much more centered around the fankids I made for certain couples I support. Feel like that isn't that relevant here.
Uncanny-Illustrator
Uncanny-Illustrator
Hero
Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Whip~ Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:55 am

Uncanny-Illustrator wrote:I will first up bring up an AU that I didn't think up but I figured does fit well in this thread since I do adore the basic idea of the AU.
http://www.deviantart.com/art/Sonic-Skyline-550770414
(Plus I adore that art style)

Holy frick that's adorable! =DD
I approve of it greatly and maybe Sega would have done better approving it as well. *shot*

When it comes to alternate character interpretations, I've always liked the idle thought of Eggman missing his sister/cousin, Maria.
It just always bothered me that he was very clearly a huge fan of Gerald Robotnik(if not only before his idol tried to destroy the planet twice), and yet he doesn't even bat an eye at the thought of Maria, essentially Gerald's ward and his relative, dying aboard the ARK. I get that most people aren't very close to their cousins sometimes(Or sister! I wish so greatly that they'd be sibilings even if I know it's more likely they're cousins), but he must have at least known her, and he's the kind of guy who, across most interpretations(the Snivley relations come to mind...), has has a special place for things and people he considers family.
Maybe I wouldn't change his character per say, but I'd definitely explore that route a little more, just to see how Eggman'd react. =3

Another character I'd probably sway a little more with is Knuckles. Early on in the series, he seemed to be this lonely teenaged dude tasked with protecting this artifact of infinite power, and he was determined to protect it at all costs, despite many things(his themesongs, amongst other sources) hinting that he'd love nothing more than to hang out with Sonic and be a normal guy. 
It's always bothered me that they kind of just dropped this aspect of his in favour of making him a goofy sidekick for Sonic to tease. He was always gullible, sure, but he had a good head on him and was pretty competent at what he did when he put his mind to it.
I'd bring Knuckles back to his roots if I could, and expand, or at least hint at, him vying for the freedom that Sonic has but understanding his duties come first. =)

Also I'd force Tails to explain how he's able to use Science Magic in Sonic Battle.
Whip~
Whip~

Back to top Go down

Post by DeuxExDimensia Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:42 pm

Whip~ wrote:Also I'd force Tails to explain how he's able to use Science Magic in Sonic Battle.

Nanobots, obviously. 

That's the first thing that comes to mind, anyway haha.
DeuxExDimensia
DeuxExDimensia
Master Member
Master Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum