Hello user, SRN is now closed. Feel free to read anything you'd like, but you cannot post.
Thank you for being part of this community.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hello user, SRN is now closed. Feel free to read anything you'd like, but you cannot post.
Thank you for being part of this community.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Piledriver

3 posters

Go down

The Piledriver Empty The Piledriver

Post by The_Terror Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:48 pm

Hello! Terror here with my new discussion topic which purely focuses on the professional wrestling industry. Throughout the lifetime of this site, I will be offering reviews, ideas, opinions, and info on anything that I come across on the internet. It would be of great help to have others search for info about professional wrestling. Watch out in the very near future for my ideas and opinions on the injury crisis that is currently taking place in the WWE. This topic is open to any and all discussions concerning the professional wrestling industry. Thank you for reading this and be sure to stay tuned for updates!

Last edited by The_Terror on Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
The_Terror
The_Terror

Back to top Go down

The Piledriver Empty Re: The Piledriver

Post by Dregan Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:24 pm

Wow, this has to go down as one of the more formal intros to a general topic I've seen go down in here. Was actually planning on starting a wrasslin' topic myself at some point, but keep not getting round to it.
I myself have mainly been following wrestling for the past... between 3 and 4 years now? I watched bits and pieces before that period, but that's how long I've actually been an active follower.
Personally am primarily a follower of WWE (Raw, Smackdown & NXT) and Lucha Underground, though also catch the occasional snippets of TNA since my parents watch that. I actually had to break it to them recently that it's all pre-determined and that the people cheating in matches aren't actual real-life cheating jerks. A conversation I never anticipated having to have.
Dregan
Dregan
Hero
Hero

http://barred.smackjeeves.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:03 am

Well! 

As someone who is part of the business itself (Here comes the shameless self promotion.)

The Piledriver 12743976_1111822558838214_7105882597094760908_n

The Piledriver 12742596_1109973572356446_6119691918187592328_n

So I have a lot of insight on how things work!

As far as watching the product I stick mostly to WWE, As well as local promotions and a few indy companies here and there!

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Terror Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:02 pm

The WWE Injury Crisis and What They Can Do About It
By
The_Terror

The WWE (World Wrestling Entertainment) is one of the most well-known professional wrestling products to have ever been brought up. Many people, whether they be hardcore wrestling fans or casual wrestling fans, know of the WWE product. Here recently, however, the WWE has been plagued by an injury curse that is seeming to spread from wrestler to wrestler. Famous wrestlers such as John Cena, Tyson Kidd, and now Bray Wyatt, who pulled a muscle during an event in Milan, Italy, are all casualties of the injury crisis along with the many other wrestlers who have been affected by the injury curse. The WWE is in danger of losing valuable wrestlers. A few ideas on how to prevent injuries are to be displayed in this small article. One idea is to lower down the amount of house shows and pay-per-views. While this does mean a decrease in income, it does mean that the wrestlers will have less of a chance to become injured. This goes especially for the PPVs since wrestlers tend to become more hardcore in their moves at such events. Another idea, which WWE is already doing, is to bring up the NXT wrestlers onto the main roster. More wrestlers mean less of a chance for another to be injured, but this might mean other wrestlers will be less prevalent and become more of a nonentity in the company. The last idea, which has been reported, is seeking temporary wrestlers. WWE was in a meeting with Lucha Underground some time ago. The exact purpose is unknown, but it is widely believed that they were potentially scouting for new talent. Temporary talent may be expensive, but it could be a way for others to take a break from the abuse that they put on their bodies. Any ideas or opinions on how to help other wrestlers recover and why this is happening would greatly be appreciated for this topic.

Reply Time!

I've changed the title of this wrestling discussion to something more memorable. The title of this is now the Piledriver. Anyways, it's nice to get some help in with this new thing that I am starting. As far as shameless self-promotion, I could care less. The more wrestlers, be they independent or in other companies, means more to write about. I, for one, enjoy kayfabe. Kayfabe is a lost art thanks to the internet and multiple media outlets. While it is obviously true that everything is predetermined and the bad guys are not total jerks, I wouldn't mind if others believe that what others are doing in the ring is real. Anyways, I'll try my best to cover as much as possible considering pro wrestling. In the words of Tommy Dreamer's House of Hardcore, there will be no politics. No BS. Just wrestling.

Last edited by The_Terror on Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:56 am; edited 2 times in total
The_Terror
The_Terror

Back to top Go down

Post by C.S.O. Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:58 pm

Well, one thing that definitely needs to be done to ensure the health and well being of wrestlers is to tone down the in ring product. Matches don't need to be spotfests. Wrestlers shouldn't go into matches with the mindset of 'can you top this?' as they perform crazy stunts that are only going to serve to cause them issues down the road.

This sort of wrestling really picked up steam in the late 90's and early 2000's. They started introducing crazier gimmick matches and wrestlers started performing crazier stunts in order to make an impression on the fans and management. Only a few years before that wrestling was more about storytelling, wrestling psychology. It wasn't as much shock and awe as where the product eventually went, but it was still engaging and exciting, and a lot of those wrestlers are still around. Some are still capable of competing because they didn't have to destroy their bodies as they performed their work all those years ago. Now, it seems that most wrestlers will only last 10-15 years at best if they get to the upper echelons of the industry because of all the punishment they go through.

And that leads to another issue that needs to be addressed, wrestlers really have to take more downtime. They simply cannot wrestle 250-300 times a year and expect to get through it unscathed. The damage will pile up until something forces them to take time off to recover, and then in most cases, they rush through recovery so that they can get back in the ring... which usually leads to more injuries. Wrestlers don't take care of themselves as well as they need to. And the promoters don't make it any easier for them.

If a wrestler isn't competing, they aren't getting paid. There's no compensation for when they get injured and in order to maintain their lifestyle, they need to get back in the ring as soon as possible. That's the way it has been for decades, and that's the way the promoters apparently like it, cause nothing has changed, and they are the ones who could make it better.

I'm not really sure what it would take to change things for the better. Wrestling is a very political environment, and that prevents a the wrestlers from possibly uniting to address this issue. If they were to collectively make a stand to try and improve the situation, maybe they would succeed. But individual and small groups of wrestlers are easily discarded and replaced. They have no power regardless of how popular or respected they might be.

In the meantime, the casualty list grows longer and there's no end in sight.

C.S.O.
Hero
Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:07 pm

This is a difficult question to answer as although I have been an idependant wrestler for a while, I haven't ever sustained an injury.

As far as I'm concerened, as far as moves go, theres a limit, theres somethings people do that is completely unnessescary and WILL cause people to get hurt. WWE themselves seem to do a good job, banning piledrivers, curb stomps and such. However if you look at the indies, theres people doing spring-board flips into piledrivers, like, no, stop. It adds NOTHING to the product, yes, its impressive, you can do a flip, but why run that risk instead of using a normal move with all the same impact?

This is a bit hypocritical coming from someone who regularly uses the dreaded STYLES CLASH. But the difference is, I practice multiple times and make sure the opponent is 100% comfortable with the move.

Now as far as WWE goes, the injury list can be broken down to the work schedule, wrestling every single day of every single year is gonna destroy the body, leaving wrestlers weak when injury appears, its no coincidence that 99% of injuries occur on non televised house shows.

Cut the schedule, cut the injuries.

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Terror Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:39 am

In my personal opinion, wrestlers should not be weekend warriors where they wrestle only once per week, but they should wrestle at least twice or possibly three times a week. I believe the same goes for WWE as well. They could either shorten the amount of house shows or eliminate them all together. Like C.S.O. stated, "They simply cannot wrestle 250-300 times a year." That's exactly how the body begins to weaken and break down.

As far as moves are concerned, I'm more of a mind to visualize matches as if they are a real fight. When I was training in the past (but then had to quit for personal reasons), I was always asking myself, "Does this make sense? What is the purpose of the move? Is there any wasted motion in this move?" Wrestling doesn't need to be extreme, yet it must not be mundane. I agree with Punk on the notion that wrestlers can perform a less dangerous move and still get the same pop. I have a disinclination to piledrivers since not a lot of people know how to give them, and not a lot of people know how to take them. A lot of the moves that affect the head are moves that I tend to stay away from unless I know it is safe. And to digress, I hate double foot stomps because if anyone does them, they're just out there to hurt you. The only time I will ever accept a dangerous move is if I know my partner and I have practiced it over and over and over until we are comfortable enough to perform it and know we can do it without hurting ourselves.

One more thing I like to add is that although the smaller guys are gaining more attention, they have to be more creative with their movements which is unfortunate. Guys who are smaller are sometimes overshadowed by the bigger guys, especially if there is someone who is as small as me. I weigh around 130 lbs. and I'm not tall by any means compared to the other guys.
The_Terror
The_Terror

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Terror Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:04 pm

End of the League of Nations?
By
The_Terror

WWE (World Wrestling Entertainment) is planning to book the end of the League of Nations, a group consisting of Alberto Del Rio, Sheamus, and Rusev. For those who are unaware, Wade Barrett has been kicked out of the group after the League of Nations got rid of its “weakest link.” While this may be somewhat related, Wade Barrett is planning to leave the WWE after his deal runs out in either June or July. Back to the point, Alberto Del Rio recently stated in an interview, as translated by SoloWrestling.com, that the League of Nations “as a group has never worked well, so we decided that it is better to separate. I think Bray Wyatt is hurt, and all this will come to nothing.” WWE was planning to book the Wyatt Family to feud with the League of Nations. Alberto has stated that he also wants to pursue singles feuds again and wants a shot at the WWE world title some time in the future. As for the other members, their fate, excluding Wade Barrett, seems to be in the singles division. It will be interesting to see how creative will book the remaining members against each other in the future.

Editor's Note; It's hard to cover everything there is about wrestling. I can't be everywhere at once and can only collect so many stories. I have to decide what's the most interesting story and write about it as best as I can. I apologize for my inability to keep up with the news.
The_Terror
The_Terror

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum