Hello user, SRN is now closed. Feel free to read anything you'd like, but you cannot post.
Thank you for being part of this community.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hello user, SRN is now closed. Feel free to read anything you'd like, but you cannot post.
Thank you for being part of this community.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Red's endeavours into art!

5 posters

Go down

Red's endeavours into art! Empty Red's endeavours into art!

Post by The Red Blur Fri May 06, 2016 8:21 pm

Hey, guys! Newbie red, here!
So, I've been taking a little bit of time to draw my character, Caen.
Let's just call this my "avatar Mk. I"

Red's endeavours into art! 27401WP_20160506_20_11_38_Pro

Obviously, it's not coloured, yet, due to time constraints, that's why it's still only a Mk. I.

Any criticism?

Thanks in advance.

~Red
The Red Blur
The Red Blur
Hero
Hero

Back to top Go down

Red's endeavours into art! Empty Re: Red's endeavours into art!

Post by Electrisa Mon May 09, 2016 10:00 am

Moved the topic, because artwork and media subforums are two different things xP

But yes! Artist in making! Gosh am I glad our members are so creative, we've got so many artists, musicians, writers of course, and so many more it makes me genuinely happy <3

About criticism: I've got a question, how long have you been drawing? Of course I don't mean like doodles or dicks in notebooks or scribbles you made as a 3 year old on walls, but rather genuine thinking "hey drawing is fun, I might try that!" Or is that your first try as so? Just curious tbh.
BUT YES.

I would advice taking a bit more time to sketch things out first, cut everything to blocks and then try to piece these blocks back together. For example, the ears here - really tiny and slightly uneven, considering where you placed them on head.
And of course, I'm not gonna say "COPY OTHER ARTISTS", but, I HIGHLY advise looking at references - and while drawing Mobians doesn't require high anatomy skills, you can look at art of people whose style you like and see how THEY in particular draw Mobians - cause there is plenty ways.
But yes, the.. uneven-ness is the biggest problem here at the moment. Shaky lines, though that fixes itself the more you practice, the head is a bit more of a tilted egg than a circle. And, it'd seem as id your chara only had two spikes on each side of head? I am not sure if that was your intent or not so can't tell here if I'd add more.
Other than that, it is looking promising! <3 A bit more work put in sketching out the placement of all features and you should be getting better in no time.
Electrisa
Electrisa
Master Member
Master Member

http://electrisa.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by The Red Blur Mon May 09, 2016 6:12 pm

How long have I been drawing? Hmm... Id say on/off for about two years. But, yeah, I agree some parts definitely need fixing.
The Red Blur
The Red Blur
Hero
Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by The Red Blur Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:01 pm

so, I dabble in pixel art, occasionally. I say pixel art, but I really take existing art, splice bits together and recolour it. so, today I managed this:

Red's endeavours into art! 26909new profile pic

I know, it's small but ehhhhhhh

but, yeah, thoughts? Opinions?
The Red Blur
The Red Blur
Hero
Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by kingleon Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:24 am

Thats a nice drawing you  got there
kingleon
kingleon
Expert Member
Expert Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Dione Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:44 am

Wow Red, I must say, this looks really good. I like the shading and such. Though, when I look at the eyes, his left eye (the one hidden under the hair) looks a bit out of place, as if it is placed a bit too high up and a bit too far to the side. But that might be because of my screen, I'm on my phone y'see ^-^"
Dione
Dione
Master Member
Master Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Dregan Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:07 pm

Pixels - my jaaaam!
And not looking too shabby! I'm not familiar with the original sprites to say much for the overall editing beyond the splicing, but I imagine that mainly you've taken hair off of one sprite and placed it onto another? You can tell 'cause the hair's at a slightly different angle to the head it's on - something you have to be carefuly of what cutting two things together.
One thing I may suggest you looking into is cleaning up the outline a little bit. You have bits where the width of the outline sorta randomly bulges in or out from where you've cut the hair out. When bringing two things together, it's important afterwards to just go around and clean up li'l details like that so they look more smoothly connected.
Also thinking where things like the hair may fall which wasn't visible from where you cut it from. In this case, the gap to the left of the head before his hair makes it kinds look like there's a segment of hair sorta... randomly hanging away from the haid. May wanna fill that gap with a li'l more hair making it's way around the back of the head to get it all looking more interconnected.
Dregan
Dregan
Hero
Hero

http://barred.smackjeeves.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by The Red Blur Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:15 pm

right, I finally did a full-body sketch of Caen!

Red's endeavours into art! 99099WP_20160704_16_48_13_Pro

I know the hands are a bit awkward, and the ears are tiny again (why do I keep doing that >_<) but, yeah, any criticism?

Oh, yeah, and 'cause it's summer, now (for me, at least) I have a bit more time on my hands, so, has anyone got any ideas for what I could draw? Granted, none of it will be like uncanny-level stuff, but I'll try my best!

Annnd I completely forgot to put a single line to show the back of the coat 0_0 pretend that it's there, guys.
The Red Blur
The Red Blur
Hero
Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by The Red Blur Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:00 pm

Alright, new pic of Caen incoming! This one is just a head shot, this time

Red's endeavours into art! 78944WP_20160822_17_57_49_Pro

I tried to go for a raised eyebrow look, but I think that made the eyes look a little weird >_<

Anyway, what are all your thoughts?

Oh, and before you ask why the background is green, it was the only colour of plain paper I had.

Wow, I just noticed the seveeeeere difference between the old art style and this one, and to be honest, I used a few sonic references I found on Goigle to help out. That's probably why it looks a little more stylised than I usually make my drawings.

Last edited by The Red Blur on Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:30 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : fixed image size. Man, phones are hard to work with.)
The Red Blur
The Red Blur
Hero
Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by The Red Blur Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:49 pm

I'm noticing a theme, here. May as well just call it 'pics of Caen thread' XD. But, anyway, I decided to give my last full-body drawing another shot, and I'm actually pretty pleased with the results:

Red's endeavours into art! 87095WP_20160922_18_17_04_Pro

Anyway, let's hope I actually get thoughts, this time. Smile
The Red Blur
The Red Blur
Hero
Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum