Hello user, SRN is now closed. Feel free to read anything you'd like, but you cannot post.
Thank you for being part of this community.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hello user, SRN is now closed. Feel free to read anything you'd like, but you cannot post.
Thank you for being part of this community.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Character Creation Questions?

2 posters

Go down

Character Creation Questions? Empty Character Creation Questions?

Post by imbadwithnames Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:19 am

Hey again SRN, 

So as I mentioned in my introduction, I'm currently working on a few character bios at the moment. Thing is, though, I started on them before I joined this site, and after reading over the character creation rules there are a few concerns I have--mostly about semantics. I apologize ahead of time if I'm just overthinking it (which is a really bad habit of mine), but I wanted to ask a few questions now before I posted my bios so I could go ahead and adjust them if necessary (key points highlighted in bold):

1.) No characters that are related to OR friends with the canon characters. We don't need 5 girlfriends of sonic, 7 best friends of tails, 10 ARK projects that are just like Shadow, ect. The ONLY way you can have your character be friends with a canon character is if it happens in the actual rps on site. THIS INCLUDES METAL VERSIONS

Does this also apply to OCs who may share a common ancestry with canon characters, but it dates back so far that they're practically strangers? Technically speaking (and do correct me if I'm wrong, I'm no geneticist lel) two people may share a single common ancestor hundreds or even thousands of years ago. I believe the term is "genetic diversity" that keeps them from being considered "related", yet they may still have genes that point back to that shared ancestor. 

To be specific, one of my characters inherited a gene that enables him to have superpowers. Could I say that he is a distant ancestor/relative of Silver and/or Blaze in a sense that they share that gene, although they are not considered to be actual family? Additionally, would it be a problem to say that even though the exact origin of Silver and Blaze's powers are currently unknown?

2.) Don't make your character OP. This means: Stick to one form (unless you have a DAMM good excuse to have multiple), don't have them too many powers and balance their powers and strengths out by weaknesses

I just want to clarify what constitutes a "form". Does this mean just downright transformations like going Super Saiyan, or does it also apply to things like power limiters (see TV Tropes)? 

Take, for example, Shadow. When he takes off his Inhibitor Rings, he gets an extreme power boost and a larger set of abilities. While this could be considered another form, it could also be that Shadow has had this amount of power lying dormant the entire time and the Inhibitor Rings just keep it from being fully released. Assuming the latter case, he doesn't exactly change or transform like he would to go Super; he's still the same Shadow, but with a power boost and a few new abilities. 

Another way to explain what I'm trying to say would be like Pokemon: a Mega evolution would be like a another form, with new abilities, new stats, etc. However, using moves like Swords Dance, Stockpile, Shell Smash, etc. would just be a power boost, and the Pokemon with these boosts are able to use "new" moves like Power Trip, Stored Power, Spit Up, etc., and could even compete on a level playing field with Megas.   

Of course, my OCs wouldn't be at Super Sonic or Shadow's level, but going just by the principle: would having something like this for my characters be a problem? This is a huge core concept of 2 of my main OCs. I do intend on including a relatively detailed explanation about it when I finish their bios, so hopefully my 'good excuse' is good enough lol. 

3.) If your character is tied to a canon organization such as GUN, Eggman, Dark Egg Legion or even ARK, try to keep things realistic. There are no 500 best GUN agents or high ranking Eggman goons. Most of those already exist and can be found in the canon character listing. This also means no 500 ARK projects

One of my OCs has a loose, antagonizing connection to G.U.N.; he's a fugitive who was broken out of Area 99 where he was captured and probed as a test subject. I don't think that would disrupt the canon like another ARK project or secret Dark Legion agent or Eggman goon would, but I just want to be certain.

Thanks for the feedback!
imbadwithnames
imbadwithnames

Back to top Go down

Character Creation Questions? Empty Re: Character Creation Questions?

Post by Electrisa Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:22 pm

Short answer?: Yooou're overthinking xP That's fine tho! Better safe than sorry, right?

Long answer: well, lemme address each point separately.

The ancestry is fine, there can't be any CLOSE relations to canon characters. Although if you make a backstory that goes "MY OC IS THE INHERITANT OF THE MASTER EMERALD AFTER A LONG LINE OF ECHIDNAS JUST LIKE KNUCKLES" then I'd be kinda mad.

To your character specifically: almost ALL OCs here have superpowers. It's not considered uncommon, and whether it's genetically or artificially gained ones, all goes. So I'd rather you didn't mention being related to Blaze or Silver, since there's plenty of fire/kinesis controlling OCs.

When it comes to form/power boosts, it all depends on how far you take it, really. I'd say power boosts aren't different forms. And that rule is mainly there so people don't go "My oc can turn super, hyper, hyper super and darkspine when he's angry and he doesn't even need Emeralds!"
If someone approached me with say, character that could control water and fire, and had a fire form but it could only be triggered in first environments and it'd nullify his water powers, and then a water form that'd do the same, but in opposite conditions, I'd be ok with this, since they could be used rarely and the nullifying would balance out the boost. Do you understand? It's all about making sure your character has weaknesses to balance out the strengths.

And your OC is fine to be a fugitive from GUN. Isn't there an RP going on with a very similar premise right now? I think you should check it out!
This rule means your character can still be a part of GUN and such things as long as he's a commoner, not significant there and not stealing the spotlight from others. We do have some soldier/general/agent OCs, and it's all fine - as long as you acknowledge your OC isn't supposed to be the star of the show, because then it's unfair towards others in the RP.

I'm not sure if I addressed everything so feel free to ask more if I left something uncertain ^^"
Electrisa
Electrisa
Master Member
Master Member

http://electrisa.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by imbadwithnames Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:54 pm

xD That's perfect, thanks. I kinda had a feeling I was just overthinking it--like I said, it's a really bad habit of mine--but in the spirit of the phrase "measure twice, cut once", I figured it'd be best to ask anyway. But yea, I'll make sure to do the best that I can to make all of my characters well-balanced and fair to the RP. Thanks for the reply!
imbadwithnames
imbadwithnames

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down