Hello user, SRN is now closed. Feel free to read anything you'd like, but you cannot post.
Thank you for being part of this community.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hello user, SRN is now closed. Feel free to read anything you'd like, but you cannot post.
Thank you for being part of this community.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The furnaces of Hunger

2 posters

Go down

The furnaces of Hunger Empty The furnaces of Hunger

Post by Giblyguy999 Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:07 pm

"The final victim assessment is of 20 peoples including 4 police officers. Local authorities have locked all access to the town and instituted a tight curfew until further notice. The unknown attacker is still on the run and we recommend the utmost safety.”

Media were all over the place. The incident left quite the impression and small town in the area went paranoid. The first week was the worst: schools were closed, police patrols were strolling the streets and no one was out after curfew. Search team were dispatched to look for the unidentified beast but couldn’t go too far, not with the risk of being caught by the thing. Which unsurprisingly received a nickname from locals: The Mercia Roach.    

Amidst all of them was a more persistent and daring individual. A bunny Mobian named Kathleen Mena, who was known to be akin to a bounty hunter. She was on the lookout for the thing since her arrival at the town and was seen by locals as a lunatic. Not because of her endeavor to track down their new boogeyman but of her lone wolf attitude. To be honest not a lot of people had the guts to go after it.

There wasn’t much information to go off of. The cameraman present when the monster got out of the building fled like all the other and only captured shaky visual of it. Still image at least informed her of his size and stature. Easily bigger than most mobian by a long shot and powerful enough to sustain gunshots. Blurry images only gave her so much intel. Her own research around the area granted her detailed photographs of footprints (or whatever those things were…) and even a little something she was completely unable to interpret clearly herself. She got stuck at a stand still until weird sightings and disappearance were reported from the surroundings of Empire city of all places.

Following this new trail, she uncovered more hints of It’s presence than she needed. She reduced the search area down to a deserted foundry far west from the city. Observing the decrepit but massive place from a good distance she spotted many animals skeleton inside through a broken window. Until finally, on the rainy day after hours of binocular observation…

It was there.

Not for long, merely seconds, but enough time to take a look at the oversized insect before it retreated inside of the building. Now she had confirmation, but she was not foolish enough to go there alone. She needed help. Fast.
The message she sent everywhere she could was concise and clear:

“Found the Mercia Roach. Need immediate assistance on taking it down. Coordinates included at the end of the recording. Bring as much firepower as you can. Over.”

Said coordinates pointed at a glade, a couple miles away from the foundry. Here she simply made a camp camouflaged as best as she could. Now she only needed to wait. And as she did she never stopped observing the foreboding place, barely visible above the tree top.  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

He was hungry. 

So hungry...

Ever since his forced retreat he felt his inside growling with impatience. The possibility of getting a powerful prey got jeopardized by meddling forces he was not expecting and none of the wildlife he preyed upon was enough to fulfill his craving. He occasionally ate some backpackers strolling out in the woods but kept a low profile. He had to keep on going. His horn has started to grow back at a good pace and he was on top condition. But the hunger still lingered, omnipresent. Two weeks of running away and feeding had kept his senses on edge. He struggled to fight his own spirit, to keep himself from attacking this even bigger city. Full of life. Full of prey.

But he wasn’t ready. Not yet. He had to finish what he begun. He knew he was followed, that they were looking for him. But he also chose the place where he would be found and studied it thoroughly. He was prepared to fight with all of his newfound strength.

He was hungry.

So…Very hungry.

Last edited by Giblyguy999 on Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Giblyguy999
Giblyguy999
Basic Member
Basic Member

Back to top Go down

The furnaces of Hunger Empty Re: The furnaces of Hunger

Post by KingOfGames Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:15 pm

After the fight with the beast, now known as "The Mercia Roach", A bored Clash was sitting in his room, his original purpose for visiting Empire City now ruined by an alien bug.

The young hedgehog was meditating, like he does every time after a fight in hopes to gain more strength over his spiritual abilities, when his phone made a noise akin to a siren, followed by a woman's voice.

"Found the Mercia Roach. Need immediate assistance on taking it down. Coordinates included at the end of the recording. Bring as much firepower as he can. Over"

After copying down the coordinates on a piece of paper, he puts on the reinforced version of his school clothes, courtesy of his father, and heads up to the rooftops to sneak his way to the glade.

---------------------------------------
Metal Slash had since returned to the lab, where his creator had saw the whole thing through the eyes of the robot, as he was tuning up his creation, it spoke.

"Master Slash, I had managed to set a waypoint on his location when I had hit him with the light drive, and am tracking him even now."

"Good work." Slash replies. "And thanks again for keeping Clash safe."

It was then that a waypoint had started pinging on the computer in Empire City, one labeled "Clash".

This prompted Slash to keep an eye on this mark, while Metal goes through his repair procedures.

Last edited by KingOfGames on Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
KingOfGames
KingOfGames
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Giblyguy999 Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:13 pm

Rain started pouring.

It was not a gentle, subtle rain, but a true downpour. Even her trusty raincoat was barely holding it own against the bullet-like droplet wailing on the forest. Binocular observation became tedious but not impossible with the help of a makeshift protection, preventing the water from obstructing her view. No sign of movement for the inside. Which meant no clue about what the Roach was doing but also that It didn’t get out of it.

Right next to her was a metallic case with a strap meant to allow its usage as a bandolier. Her only weapons were in it and she refused to get them muddy before reaching site. She trusted her ability to kill this thing but help would be welcome. Talking about it, no one had showed up since her message was sent. Was there truly no one in the vicinity to take care of it ?
The police proved to be inefficient and she didn’t have the leverage to call on more reinforcement. And even if she had the thing hidden in there would just flee in front of a massive force. She had to wait for a bit more.

But by Gaia was the rain getting on her nerves.
Giblyguy999
Giblyguy999
Basic Member
Basic Member

Back to top Go down

Post by KingOfGames Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:30 pm

The young hedgehog had finally arrived, despite the camouflage and rain. He had never been to a place quite like this before.
After a bit of searching, he found the bunny intently looking through the binoculars, along with a sorry excuse for an umbrella.

Wishing to help, he focused his energy to make a minor barrier above her, the rain now hitting the barrier like a sunroof, and in turn, now pouring on him as he was using it before.

"Hello miss, are you the one who sent that alert?"
KingOfGames
KingOfGames
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Giblyguy999 Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:59 am

On the outside it could have seemed like she was wholly into her observation, and to an extent it was correct. Although she had the benefit of a very good hearing too. With it she easily discerned footsteps coming towards her. Her blood first froze in her veins before she gauges the sound properly. They were too light to be coming from the creature. Oddly the rain that was assaulting her stopped, but she could still see and hear it fall all around her.

She glanced at the new presence and raised an eyebrow at the sight. A kid ? He didn’t look older than 17, maybe 18 to be very generous. What was he doing here of all places ?

"Hello miss, are you the one who sent that alert?"

Oh. So he came here because her message. Since the time she sent it without response she assumed her choice will be limited but this was a bit much. She put her binocular away and turned in his direction, crossing her arms and frowning even so slightly.

- I am. But it’s a dangerous matter young lad, this thing is literally out to kill people. I can't risk putting a teenager in danger.
Giblyguy999
Giblyguy999
Basic Member
Basic Member

Back to top Go down

Post by KingOfGames Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:07 am

"I can't risk putting a teenager in danger."

These words made Clash a bit angry, even if it were true normally, he fought the beast himself, which means he was being underestimated.

"Hey! I can fight y'know, I fought him when he was at that restaurant!" "Well, along with the robot, but I could have taken him."

His bracelets were glowing a bright blue, but to everyone but Clash, nothing else seemed to be happening.
KingOfGames
KingOfGames
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Giblyguy999 Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:39 am

The teen had guts at the very least. His reaction was typical for his kind: hot headed and willing to prove himself. She had seen enough of them to know she wouldn’t change his mind. Even though she would’ve preferred to not get a kid involved. He claimed to have fought it with help before, a robot. The witnesses testified that a robot went in to cover their escape when the beast erupted from the restaurant. At the very least this part of the story matched.

Here and now, she had no time nor the will to delay the hunt any longer. Who knows what this thing was doing while they were waiting ?

- …But I could have taken him.
- Oh really now ? We’ll have to see that in action. This way.

She proceeded to simply walk toward their destination at a good pace. She was used to walking faster than average and wanted to get there in shortest notice. Of course, she had to consider the company she now had but if he wanted to help, enduring a fast-paced walk was the least he could do today.  Considering the time they’ll need to get there she resumed speaking to him, while still looking around them just in case the Roach was on the move again.

- The name’s Kathleen. Call me Kath.

She had to readjust the hood on her raincoat to prevent more water from entering every now and then. She didn’t like the way she had to tuck her ears beneath it but there was no workaround. At least she could still hear decently enough.

- About this delightful fella we’re going to squash. How much do you know about it ?
Giblyguy999
Giblyguy999
Basic Member
Basic Member

Back to top Go down

Post by KingOfGames Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:15 am

The bracelets were no longer glowing, and Clash felt relieved that he wasn't going to be kicked out because he was young.

"My name is Clash Kopis."
"And about the bug... Metal Slash, the robot, told me that it's really fast and strong, but has many of the same weaknesses as normal beetles, except for one thing." "From how it seemed to really want to go after me when it sensed my energy, as well as knowing our language and stuff, Metal hypothesized that it seems to have some kind of assimilation when it eats someone."

Clash grimaced at the last part,  assimilation was not the topic he'd like to go to, but it was important.
KingOfGames
KingOfGames
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Giblyguy999 Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:30 am

As she thought, he was not able to tell her much. But what little he had was already troubling. This creature was not eating just to survive after all. It was learning, prying information from its victims. The situation became several times more serious real quick and it also meant that it ultimately could grow out of control. All the more reason to destroy it on the spot.

The rest of the walk she didn’t utter a single word. Already thinking about her moves and the strategy to apply. The best way to avoid slip up would be to consider the creature as, if not more, intelligent than them. Plus they were going to fight on its turf. Fortunately, the building was large enough to offer them as much opportunity as their target. She led the way to a grass-infested pavement leading to the vehicle entrance, now lacking an iron curtain to shut it close. And although it was nice to walk on something other than mud she felt a cold sweat coursing on her back with the anticipation.

The calm unnerved her.

- Listen carefully Clash. I’m not repeating that and I’m not leaving you a choice either.

Reaching for her bandolier case, she put in on the wet concrete and popped both of the locks up. The top lifted up to reveal a pair of seemingly normal boots. But at the moment she picked them up it became apparent that, where most of it was normal looking, the very front and the soles were covered in a pristine steel shell. Almost like armor reinforcement. She quickly discarded her current pair for those while resuming her talking.

- We’re going to kill this thing. It’ll fight back. We must give it our all or more people will die because of it.

Slightly tapping the ground with the point of her boot, producing a metallic clink. Still battered by the pouring rain she approached the young hedgehog and put a firm hand on his shoulder. Surprisingly she kept a beaming, confident grin.

- But should it be not enough we’re not playing heroes. We run for our lives. We both have family to come back to. Am I clear young man ?

---------------------------------------
They were approaching him.

He saw them coming from far enough to know it wouldn’t be long before they engage him. Perched on the highest part of the building, his hands were clenching the rusty sheet metal of the roof which was creaking and breaking under his pressure. The wait was killing him but it was almost over. He then quickly retreated back into the building to prepare himself.

He will strike quick. Strike them down.

Devour them…
Devour…
Giblyguy999
Giblyguy999
Basic Member
Basic Member

Back to top Go down

Post by KingOfGames Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:43 am

Back at the lab, the signals grew closer and closer together, in the same building no less.

It was clear, it was going to attack his son.

Metal Slash had finished his repairs a while ago, and was now in standby, but he too was anxious. He turns to his creator and speaks.

"Master Slash, I will dispatch myself to Master Clash immediately!"

Slash stood upright and placed his hand on Metal to prevent him from leaving.

"I am going with you, despite your equipment, you need all the help you can get to even get a chance."

"Master Slash, you shouldn't put yourself in da-"

Metal Slash was interrupted by a sharp look in his creator's eyes, a determined look that he hadn't seen in years.

"As you wish." "Coordinates entered, weapons armed, synchronization complete... Launch!"

---------------------------------

"Yes, Ms. Kathleen!"

Clash was ready to fight, and his spirits were invigorated at the prospect of something unique to take on. But this reminded Clash of something critical: She doesn't know about his power.

"Um, before that though, I am going to... uh..." "This might sound weird but, I'm going to need to pat you on the head?"
"N-now before you say anything, this is because of my power, normal people can't see it, and if we are going to fight effectively with each other, you have to be able to see them."

Clash didn't know how to explain, he never had to do this with such a serious individual before, what didn't help, is that he was starting to get a bad feeling.
KingOfGames
KingOfGames
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Giblyguy999 Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:07 pm

She felt a wave of relief the moment he acknowledged what he’s been told. Not that she left him a choice considering all the risk they were about to take. But at least she had his word that the moment things go awry, they would do whatever they can to escape. Another promise, this time to herself, lingered at the back of her head. What she stated earlier was still her priority: keeping him out of harm’s way.

As such she wasn’t reluctant to risk her skin if need be.

She barely turned to the hangar when he heard him mumble a bit, before expressing the wish to…pat her head ? Apparently it was a way to allow her to see his power manifest. Of course she had suspicions of their presence after the little stunt he pulled at the camp but they were indeed invisible. Approaching her head she let him do it, although she kept her hood on with one hand to prevent her face from being soaked within two seconds.
Giblyguy999
Giblyguy999
Basic Member
Basic Member

Back to top Go down

Post by KingOfGames Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:34 am

Clash hesitated for a split second before patting Kathleen on the head, afterwards, her vision gets cloudy for a second before clearing up to the sight of an adult translucent red hedgehog who looked like some kind of gang leader, and a young blue hedgehog who appeared to have neat, fancy clothing along with the same transparency.

"Welcome, your eyes now have access to the spiritual plane!" "My name is Carter." The young one spoke with calm and politeness.

"I'm Kane, try not to die fighting that thing, filthy pig." 

This time the older one spoke, with heavy amounts of an insulting tone, which the young one appeared to dislike.

"These are the two spirits I'm bound to, believe it or not, they will be of great help." "I can explain more later if you want, but right now, I can feel it approaching..."
KingOfGames
KingOfGames
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Giblyguy999 Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:16 am

The moment it all appeared in front of her, for a moment, she almost believed that the kid had put drugs on his sleeves or something. This was so surreal. She quickly forgot it as soon as the second “spirit” insulted her so boldly. First taken aback by it she then glared in his direction. She held the will to kick it, reminding herself of the incorporeal nature of what was present in front of her. Lucky for it…him.

- The spiritual plane eh ? Don’t tell me we end up here when we die, I’d hate to be stuck with this cretin.

Taking a step back she faced the building, visibly determined.

- Now stay sharp. And don’t pull your punches.

She led the way into the foreboding place at last. Finally out of the rain, the scent of wet grass quickly subsided in profit of a rusty smell mixed with dust that made her frown. Pushing a rotting door into the main place revealed a very spacious, rectangular arrangement. The side of the building were lined with an assortment of machinery and pipes. Drills, furnaces and hydraulic presses galore. The center was mostly empty, safe for the railing on the ground and a pulley system on the ceiling. Small tools and metal pieces littered the ground and one part of the ceiling collapsed, letting the dim outside light go through. The rain producing a series of clinking sound against the omnipresent metal.
Huge molds and cauldron like container were either on the ground or still hanging to the creaking pulleys. At the closest extremities from where they entered sat a giant furnace, now as cold as the ambient air and blackened by years of services.

Pulling her hood out, her ears perked up as she sighed in relief. They were now picking up much more sounds than before but she tried to focus on a specific pattern. She was after sign of movement. Despite her iron soles she barely made any sound while moving, ever so slowly, focused on her task.

Something fell in front of her, from above, a small piece of metal. This was enough to break her focus as she didn’t expect something of the sort. Before regaining her senses a heavy chain swung at her and hit her back, pushing her to the ground where she tumbled and rolled a couple of meter away.
The Bug fell on his two clawed feet in front of the boy. Its stature twitching and barely able to stop moving when, suddenly, it launched itself at full speed. Before it could reach him however, the Bunny had somehow jumped on one of the ceiling support beam and launched herself at incredible speed toward it. Doing a front somersault, her two ironclad feet collided with the creature face and send it flying into the huge furnace with a resounding boom. She fell back on her feet, putting a knee on the ground.

- You okay ?

Kathleen had discarded her raincoat, revealing a black padded suit covering most of her body at the notable exception of her legs. Said legs were now steaming and glowing with a bright red hue as if they were burning. She exhaled while bringing herself up as her legs slowly came back to normal. The Bug, in the meantime, already pushed itself out of the broken furnace and climbed it like an actual insect would do. She had hope a direct hit to the head would knock it down for a while but at least it brought back some distance between them.

Now perched on the furnace chimney, the Thief clattered his mouthpiece before leaping right at them once again.
Giblyguy999
Giblyguy999
Basic Member
Basic Member

Back to top Go down

Post by KingOfGames Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:59 am

Kane laughs at the halted attempt to hurt him, despite knowing that it could have still hurt him, had Clash allowed it.

As they made their way in, he hears a familiar noise: thrusters, there wasn't any aircraft in the area which meant Metal Slash was coming to help.

"Tch, c'mon dad, I know you're worried, but I can handle this..." Clash says to himself, irritated.

When the bug finally appeared, Clash was about to fire a chaos spear when Kathleen had kicked the roach with power he really wasn't expecting.

"Y-yeah! That was awesome!"

The roach was coming back for another round, Clash made sure to get close to Kath before...

"Kick in front of me!" The Chaos Barrier activates, ready to take the hits.

----

Metal Slash had finally landed, and not even a second after, he was already going full tilt towards the structure, Slash being attached to him.
He got there as soon as Clash activated Chaos Barrier, and with his speed, activated his thrusters again to strike the barrier from behind with full force.

Last edited by KingOfGames on Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:03 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Colorz)
KingOfGames
KingOfGames
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Giblyguy999 Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:56 pm

(Sorry for the time I took. It’s been a busy period for me. Hope it’s alright !)

She acted within seconds. Calculating the distance between them and the beast, and the new information provided to her. The boy had raised a barrier and two new ally -she wagered- had come to help. The Bug closed his fist and was ready to hit them full force. The red glow shone once again as she jumped backward. Her left feet coiled while the other stepped on the barrier. She then struck the barrier to propel herself right at the creature.

Twisting her whole body to rotate mid-air, she first kicked away the fist of the monster before aiming for the head again. This time the bug put a hand between her foot and his face to mitigate the damage. His momentum was redirected to the side and they both fell to the ground. Rolling on the ground, she swiftly came back on her feet. The Roach did the same.

- You’re not touching that kid Buggo !
- You are all preys. Who gets to die first is irrelevant.
- Then you go first.

She immediately run toward him. She needed to keep him away, let the kid do his thing. Dodging a downward punch followed by a swipe. What proceeded was an exchange of powerful kick that rebounded on the majority of his carapace. The stuff was solid and even though the bunny kept dodging the attack she knew one slip up would be devastating. She planted her steel sole in his side before getting behind him and kicking his foot away, throwing his balance off. Kath then got to his neck and wrapped her legs around his throat. Despite the force she was putting into the chokehold, his resistance was way above her prediction. Holding on to his horns to tighten the grip had the effect of making him hunch backward.
Although he was not letting out a single grunt or any noise for that matter. Usually choking someone make them panic even so slightly. His hand grabbed her legs and slowly undone the grip. Her eyes widen in surprise as she tried to held on but only manage to get into a stalemate. On his side it was enough to regain a normal breath. Without warning he hunched forward before slamming his back on the ground behind him.

Kathleen felt all the air escaping her body. As the beast got back on his feet she fell between his horns, gasping for air. He nonchalantly shook her off his head and let her land on the ground not too far from Clash. His attention now completely focused on him. This barrier was the same as before. He remembered it.

This time it would break.

He sprinted toward it as fast as he could, quickly closing the gap and punched the barrier with all his strength.  
Giblyguy999
Giblyguy999
Basic Member
Basic Member

Back to top Go down

Post by KingOfGames Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:23 pm

Metal Slash had hit the barrier right after Kathleen had launched herself off to hit the bug, this caused Clash to flinch, but keep the barrier up during the struggle between the two, despite the large cracks that appeared.

He passed a bit of energy to Carter to at least relieve the pain that Kathleen took when she got launched, but it couldn't be much because the bug was coming right for him, meaning he had to take another blow, the cracks on the barrier almost completely covering it.

Metal Slash jumps over the barrier to land behind the bug, it locks on and Generates rockets from its back, ready to fire.
Meanwhile, Clash retracts the barrier, causing purple spiritual flames to burst from his body and the bug to, in theory, fall in front of him.

"Take this!" Clash fires a Chaos Blast at the bug, focusing all of his energy into a beam to strike him.
KingOfGames
KingOfGames
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down