Hello user, SRN is now closed. Feel free to read anything you'd like, but you cannot post.
Thank you for being part of this community.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hello user, SRN is now closed. Feel free to read anything you'd like, but you cannot post.
Thank you for being part of this community.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who wants a remake of Sonic 06

+4
spark tb
Dregan
C.S.O.
Thunder
8 posters

Go down

Who wants a remake of Sonic 06 Empty Who wants a remake of Sonic 06

Post by Thunder Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:50 am

See i have heard of sonic 06 was a great game, exept the crazy bugs. So i was wondering who would like to see a remake of sonic 06 where everything stays the same exept they get rid of all the bugs and glitches in the game. Like the zelda remakes usually are. So who would like to see this, personally i would like too.
Thunder
Thunder
Master Member
Master Member

Back to top Go down

Who wants a remake of Sonic 06 Empty Re: Who wants a remake of Sonic 06

Post by C.S.O. Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:22 am

I'm not so sure that Sonic 06 would ever need a remake. Sure you could get rid of all the bugs, but it really feels like the game tries to do way too much, and that's a bigger problem. Remaking the game doesn't fix that.

C.S.O.
Hero
Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Dregan Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:26 pm

I have to agree with C.S.O, Sonic 06's problems can't just be put down to it's bugs. There were issues with lazy and inconsistent writing, rather repetitive and often-times quite dull level design, the use of the same levels, segments and enemies over and over again. It wasn't just a 'glitchy but good' game like say... well, anything by Bethesda. It was a broken game which didn't have much to offer up when it was working.

Honestly however, I will say one thing... it was good on a conceptual level. I think they could happily make another game with the same base concept/story. But it would require a lot of work, and would definitely need to be redone from the ground up, from the very base design/script stages.
Dregan
Dregan
Hero
Hero

http://barred.smackjeeves.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by spark tb Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:46 pm

Personally, I'd love to have a revised '06, not a remade one. By this I mean completely rewite the story, but keeping to the same plot information, rework the whole... multiple campaign thing. Perhaps make it all part of the same story, instead of each one being seperate. Rework the mechanics and the stages, etc.

As Dregan said, the game was great from a conceptual point of view - Crystal Meph will forever be one of my favourite sonic villains. Iblis... was poorly done, but the concept for him was great. Silver has so much potential, and is still around but doesn't.. really grow much as a character. I'd like to see the elements taken, and redone.
spark tb
spark tb
Expert Member
Expert Member

Back to top Go down

Post by C.S.O. Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:07 pm

Perhaps they should streamline the game. Do what the game box says and focus on Sonic, Shadow and Silver. If you drop the other six characters, and most if not all of Shadow's vehicles, and all the development they require, the game quality issues and bugs would probably disappear. Get rid of the useless town missions too. They aren't needed.

But maybe what would be best is to take the Generations route. Take the level ideas and maybe the general layout of the levels and remake them in the gameplay style of Colours or Generations and perhaps adjust them to suit each of the hedgehogs play style.

C.S.O.
Hero
Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Thunder Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:49 am

I didnt really mean remake i just meant for the game to be made again same plot and everything but getting rid of the bugs, streamline it as C.S.O. said
Thunder
Thunder
Master Member
Master Member

Back to top Go down

Post by spark tb Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:56 am

And what we're saying is getting rid of the bugs and such isn't enough. Even without them, '06 is far from a good game. Like most of the sonic franchise, it has great concept work, but would need to be redone in it's near entirety to be a good game.

So no, I would not buy a bugless version of '06, because as things stand, they're the best part of it.
spark tb
spark tb
Expert Member
Expert Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Thunder Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:03 am

"disagreements make for good topics" said my cousin as he told me to post this, i have never played sonic 06 myself but i have heard its utter crap because of the bugs, so i have actually no intellectual knoledge on this game
Thunder
Thunder
Master Member
Master Member

Back to top Go down

Post by damnnothere Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:22 pm

I've always been somewhat of a Sonic 06 sympathiser, I have to be honest. While I agree that the game we got was an absolute radical trainwreck, I think there's still a lot of fun to be had, in the same way watching The Room is a blast.

In terms of a remake, one of my biggest problems with 06 design-wise is that each stage is exactly the same when you play with each character (I know Adventure did kinda the same, but it handled it way better). Remember in SA2 where there were like seven different space stages, each with their unique maps and gimmicks? That was awesome, and it would've been awesome to have three different Crisis City or Kingdom Valley style stages, each designed to accommodate each character's abilities.

Oh and I wanna see Ellise replaced with Chris Thorndyke. Make it happen Sega.
damnnothere
damnnothere

Back to top Go down

Who wants a remake of Sonic 06 Empty Two cents

Post by Soundbarriorbreaker Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:12 pm

How Sonic 06 turned out wasn't really sega's fault at least not that much their fault. There are many reasons why 06 turned out the way it did: The head developer of the game left in the middle of the project, Fans demanded an early release, and Sega was trying to beat a Christmas deadline. 06 really could have been a great sonic game perhaps even the best. it truly is a shame that it didn't reach its potential.

Soundbarriorbreaker
Newbie Member
Newbie Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Dregan Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:30 pm

To be fair, it's less Sega who is blameless, more Sonic Team. Members of the development team basically went on the record saying 'We told head office it was an unreleasable mess, but they told us to just fix it as much as we could and release it anyway so it'd be out in time to celebrate the anniversary'. So whilst you can't blame Sonic Team, you can sure as hell blame Sega.

It also feels they were waaay over-ambitious with what they planned. So in the game, you have three main stories right, Sonic, Shadow and Silver, with each of them having their own additional side-characters you can play. Well, the original plan was actually to have every character have their own story - that's right nine characters with nine full stories to themselves.
So taking that into account, the fact we only got three characters, all of which sharing stages? The game wasn't just unfinished, by the sounds of things they were barely even a third of the way through before Sega started pushing a release date on them.
No wonder it's a broken mess - they had what amounted to a couple of months to take one third of a game and scratch it together into a full release that had to somehow make sense despite missing 2/3rds of what was planned.
Dregan
Dregan
Hero
Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by C.S.O. Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:48 pm

Dregan wrote:It also feels they were waaay over-ambitious with what they planned. So in the game, you have three main stories right, Sonic, Shadow and Silver, with each of them having their own additional side-characters you can play. Well, the original plan was actually to have every character have their own story - that's right nine characters with nine full stories to themselves.
So taking that into account, the fact we only got three characters, all of which sharing stages? The game wasn't just unfinished, by the sounds of things they were barely even a third of the way through before Sega started pushing a release date on them.
No wonder it's a broken mess - they had what amounted to a couple of months to take one third of a game and scratch it together into a full release that had to somehow make sense despite missing 2/3rds of what was planned.

That right there is totally on Sonic Team.

Who needs nine different stories in a game? And a Sonic game no less. Then they want to make all nine characters unique. That is an absurd amount of work. And that isn't counting any extra stuff they might want to program into the game (town missions, silver medals, multiplayer). If this was seriously their goal, they probably wouldn't have completed it with another year of development.

If they had just focused on Sonic, we probably would have had an epic and memorable game. If it had focused on Sonic, Shadow and Silver it probably would have been a really good game that was fun and fans would have enjoyed.

Sonic Team made a lot of bad design choices for that game. Sega then compounded it because they wanted to cash in on Sonic's anniversary.

C.S.O.
Hero
Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Dregan Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:03 pm

To be fair, they'd managed with seven in the past in Sonic Adventure. Meanwhile, SA:2, whilst splitting it's characters into two stories, essentially held all 6 of it's key characters in equal-ish weight.
Sonic games for a while up to then seemed to have been slowly building up the roster and making more and more characters available and playable in each thing. Nine was definitely over-ambitious, but in respects to what they'd done in the past, wasn't actually an unseeable amount of steps beyond.

Still, I do agree there was an issue of 'too much'. They definitely didn't NEED nine characters playable - though I suspect some element of that was worry after certain games had made less characters available and they'd recieved a little backlash for that. Everyone wants to play their favourite unfortunately, and it's amazing now how much crap they get on more recent attempts from people going; 'Well shouldn't we at least get to play Tails?' or 'Shouldn't we at least get to play Shadow?' It was sort of the issue with their approach in the past to keep making things bigger and bigger in terms of cast and playstyles, 06 was just really the breaking point for that.
Things which were more inexcusable was such unneccesary schlock as the town missions though. Because seriously, we had so many mini-quests and unneccesary extras... and none of them were worth even the slightest of damns. Silver medals were just as worthless.
Though I guess that's one issue with making a game; you don't really go 'okay, we'll create the whole game first, then put in the collectables and side-missions'. Everything needs to move along at once altogether, and the workload can often seem fine until it's actually underway.

Basically, all in all? A lot went wrong with this game.
Dregan
Dregan
Hero
Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by C.S.O. Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:21 pm

Dregan wrote:To be fair, they'd managed with seven in the past in Sonic Adventure. Meanwhile, SA:2, whilst splitting it's characters into two stories, essentially held all 6 of it's key characters in equal-ish weight.
Sonic games for a while up to then seemed to have been slowly building up the roster and making more and more characters available and playable in each thing. Nine was definitely over-ambitious, but in respects to what they'd done in the past, wasn't actually an unseeable amount of steps beyond.

Well, you look at the games as the progressed.

Sonic Adventure has six characters. But, the characters didn't have a whole bunch of different features slapped onto them and a lot of it was simple a functional.

Adventure two had six characters, but only three unique play styles: runners, hunters, mechs. More features were added to each style to make them diverse as well.

Heroes had twelve characters, but still basically had three play styles: speed, flight and power with little difference for each team.

Shadow the Hedgehog. One character, one play style. But it had a lot of additional features.

Then came Sonic 06. There they decided to reverse the trend of few play styles but more intricate features to try and make nine different styles, and then tonnes of additional stuff on top of that.

You can get away with creating a lot of characters, but you need to keep them simple, because they all have to be functional. Almost nothing in 06 was completely functional.

C.S.O.
Hero
Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:14 pm

To be honest, Sonic 06 isn't terrible if you factor out the bugs, but whenever SEGA tries to do something big with Sonic like this game or Sonic Boom Rise of Lyric, they fail because...wait why did they fail?  Anyway Sonic 06 Remastered would be a good idea, if they don't jack it up like with...*sigh*...that OTHER Sonic game...

Back to top Go down

Post by C.S.O. Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:37 pm

Sure it would be better without the bugs, but they are just a side effect of trying to do too much and only half finishing things as a result.

When Sega tries to do something big with Sonic, they aren't willing to wait for it to be finished before trying to sell it. Then the fan base turns against them for it.

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric has some similar issues, but they aren't crippling ones. Instead they are more polish issues that make the game look worse than it is.

C.S.O.
Hero
Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by ForevaYoung Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:24 pm

I don't vote for a re-release of '06, I vote for a finished copy to be released.
A rumour went about that Metal Sonic was originally supposed to make an appearance in the game, but was scrapped right at the end. If that was true, then what would have been Metals original purpose in the game itself? 
The whole Elise/Sonic thing was not necessary at all. Yes we get you're uncomfortable about the fact a human kissed a hedgehog, but come on! It's been done and that's really the end of it. 
I personally did like the general idea of the game, but I felt like there was too much going on at once, you know? One minute you were talking calmly about getting Elise to safety, suddenly Shadow kicks you in the face and you've travelled through time. The flow was messed up to me, but I could still make sense of most of it.
Controls wise... Oh boy, the controls. the bugs were unbelievable! I mean at one point I was happily running through a stage, then boom! I was inside a wall. 
What?
All in all it had a really good concept, but they took waaay too much into it, and completely messed it about by trying to tone it down in time for the release date.
ForevaYoung
ForevaYoung
Master Member
Master Member

Back to top Go down

Who wants a remake of Sonic 06 Empty what

Post by Guest Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:50 am

i don't think the crud factor of this game would go away even if the bugs weren't around or as prevalent  .-.

Back to top Go down

Post by Codename-Jack Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:34 pm

The dialogue was terrible. A bugfix wont change that. There's one or two moments it made me laugh without being too forced but otherwise the whole thing reeks of stale memes. 

What I want is a Silver game with a decent plot.
Codename-Jack
Codename-Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down